From: Os (os_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-19 06:33:28

Hi,

I very much want to use boost serialization but can't enable RTTI in
my compiler (vc7/vc8) because of compatibility restrictions with other
code.

I've seen various statements on the web that boost serialization will
work without RTTI, but no concrete instructions about how to make this
happen.

I've tried writing a trivial app using
boost::archive::binary_oarchive, but I get this compiler warning
(which is as good as an error):

boost\smart_cast.hpp(76) : warning C4541: 'dynamic_cast' used on
polymorphic type 'boost::archive::detail::basic_oarchive' with /GR-;
unpredictable behavior may result

So is it the case that, while serialization doesn't require RTTI, the
provided archive classes do? Am I going to have to write my own
archive class?

Any help appreciated.

cheers,
os.