From: CWoods (cwoods_eol_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-15 00:03:47

Nicholas Bastin wrote:
> I caught the note that I needed to define _SCL_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE on
> windows when building with vc8 (or, in my case the intel compiler,
> which uses the same SDK). Is there some mechanism for doing this in
> bjam?
>
> Or, asked another way, has anyone succesfully built boost.signals in
> 64-bit on windows using ICL 9.1? And if so, what magic bjam command
> line incantation did you use? :-)
>
> --
> Nick

Nicholas,

I *think* (from what I've read) that defining _SCL_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
will only suppress the warning messages that the compiler is generating
while using the VC8 libraries. If you just seeing C4996 warnings during
the build process then _SCL_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE will solve your issue.

If you are getting errors during compile/run of your program that
includes the boost libraries then you are probably trying to avoid the
"safe" libraries that ship with VC8 - in that case I *think* (again from
reading) that you'd need to define _SECURE_SCL as 0 - if for example you
are linking with other 3rd party libraries that aren't using release
runtime checked iterators.

I ran across the following article recently which *might* (I haven't
tried this yet) let you specify defines to pass during the boost build
process:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/143980/focus=144063

HTH,

-Chris

PS - Anyone with more experience in this department please feel free to
jump in and correct me. I just recently started looking at 1.34.0 and
VC8 so I might not have it down right.