From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-25 00:45:57

Sohail Somani wrote:

>> a) don't use export - use explicit archive level registration
>> instead. b) some sort of explicit type registration. Users could
>> just put
>> at after the main entry point and/or in the DLL loading phase
>
> How is (b) different from (a)? Is this related to your "load/save by
> name?"

The issue is the invocation of a function which impliles the
construction of the required type. This occurs as a side effect
of serializing the type in an archive. But it could ust as well
be done explicitly before any threads are started.

This explanation is much confused by the fact that I've used
"registration" to mean more than one thing. One thing
is the creation of the suitable extended_type_info object
(which is being discussed here).
while another thing is the construction of certain serialization
objects which occur for every combination of archive type
and serializable type which is serialized through a pointer.
This latter is also done as a side effect of just using serialization.

>> And once embarks upon this kind of effort, its interesting
>> to consider "finishing" extended type info with some missing
>> functionality like "construct from export name".

> I have no idea why the two affect each other!

Your idea is to refine, and improve extended_type_info. It
has utility outside the serialization package. However to
make this as useful as it should be would require adding
some "missing" functions and improving the documentation
to make it more of a "first class" boost module.