From: dhruva (dhruvakm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-31 23:48:13

Hi,

On 5/31/07, Aaron W. LaFramboise <aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> (2) It's been brought up before, but there seriously needs to be a way
> to grow managed shared memory segments. I understand that this is
> really tricky to implement, and probably just as tricky to use safely,
> but it's an important feature, in my opinion. I guess the main
> difficulties here are the potential change of base, and atomicity?

I have a similar requirement. Something like a pool of shared memory
blocks that can work as a stream. Since it is impossible to always
grow a reserved chunk of memory at the same base address, you will
have to create a pool (or the crude realloc type which beats
scalability and performance). IMHO, it is ideal to develop a pool of
shared memory each with their own base addresses and implement all the
intelligence of traversing, seek and functionalities using an
ITERATOR. Iterator can become an abstract interface to the underlying
memory.
 I have implemented a class of my own (not along the BOOST lines) as a
 proof of concept and left it incomplete (needs debugging and fixing
the traversing part - Iterator).

with best regards,
dhruva

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!