From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-02 09:28:35

on Thu Jun 28 2007, "Knox, Matt" <Matt.Knox-AT-tdam.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to install the Boost.Python library (and then compile
> C++ python extensions after that) using cygwin and am not having
> much luck. I know I have the main part of boost working because I
> was able to compile and run the basic example for testing the boost
> configuration. Then to install Boost.Python I did the following:
>
> $ ./configure –with-libraries=python

I suggest you start by following the directions at
http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html.

In particular, try adding --debug-configuration to your bjam options
to see what's going on.

To get that with configure, it looks like one sets the option in the
BJAM_CONFIG shell variable. In bash:

  BJAM_CONFIG=--debug-configuration ./configure --with-libraries=python

> This generates the following output:
>
> Building Boost.Jam with toolset gcc... tools/jam/src/bin.cygwinx86/bjam
>
> Detecting Python version... 2.5
>
> Detecting Python root... c:\Python25

Like the other poster implied, it appears the system is finding your
non-cygwin Python installation. That's the downside of using the
configure script: it isn't as smart as the bjam python toolset ;-)

> Unicode/ICU support for Boost.Regex?... not found.
>
> Backing up existing Boost.Build configuration in user-config.jam.2
>
> Generating Boost.Build configuration in user-config.jam...
>
> Generating Makefile...
>
> I then type “make install”, which generates the following output:
>
> ./tools/jam/src/bin.cygwinx86/bjam --user-config=user-config.jam --prefix=/usr/local
> --exec-prefix=
>
> /usr/local --libdir=/usr/local/lib --includedir=/usr/local/include --with-python install
>
> WARNING: No python installation configured and autoconfiguration
>
> failed. See http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html
>
> for configuration instructions or pass --without-python to
>
> suppress this message and silently skip all Boost.Python targets
>
> warning: Python location is not configured
>
> warning: the Boost.Python library won't be built
>
> warning: Unable to construct ./install-unversioned

<schnipp>

> ...found 7812 targets...
>
> Those warnings look rather problematic.

Those are outside my domain of expertise :(

> And indeed, when I try to compile the basic example (/
> boost_1_34_0/libs/python/example/tutorial) by typing “bjam
> target-os=cygwin toolset=gcc”, I get the following errors:

If building from the cygwin bash prompt with a cygwin-compiled bjam,
you shouldn't need to specify the target-os.

> Jamroot:17: in modules.load
>
> rule python-extension unknown in module Jamfile</cygdrive/p/c_libs/boost_1_34_0/libs/python/
> example/

> Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

I don't know a about the tutorial example in
libs/python/example/tutorial, but the one in
libs/python/example/quickstart needs the following patch:

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting