From: Antony Chazapis (chazapis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-06 05:42:51

Hi all. It seems that the tools/build/v2/tools/python.jam file is
broken when used in Mac OS X (darwin). I had many problems when
trying to compile libtorrent's python bindings using bjam and they
all were finally solved by changing this file.

I would suggest applying the following patch to the code. This fixes
the missing "python_for_extensions" rule problem, and allows for
properly setting the include paths (without relying on env vars). For
linking I just used "-framework Python". I don't get what all the $
(PYTHON_FRAMEWORK) stuff is about. With the "official" python
install, gcc automatically finds the framework.

However, there is still an issue: In rule "init-mac" the "root"
variable should not be necessary. When I tried to change that,
compilation broke again. I guess there are references to the variable
elsewhere that have to be changed first.

For now I can compile everything by setting (in user-config.jam):

using python : 2.5 : /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5 ;

Hope this helps, as it should apply to other python-related projects
as well.

Antony