From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-19 08:31:16

Farberov, Inga wrote:

>> For some reason I am unable to reproduce this problem in a small
>> program, but when try to suspend a hanging thread in debugger, I get
>> following stack trace:
>> 18 _dl_sysinfo_int80() 0x003317a2
>> 17 __lll_mutex_lock_wait() 0x0062e30e
>> 16 _L_mutex_lock_35() 0x0062af3b
>> 15 <symbol is not available> 0x080c80e8
>> 14 <symbol is not available> 0x00472ff4
>> 13 <symbol is not available> 0x080c80e8
>> 12 <symbol is not available> 0xbffff6b0
>> 11 <symbol is not available> 0xbffff208
>> 10 pthread_mutex_lock() 0x0042097e
>> 9 pthread_mutex_lock() 0x0042097e
>> 8 scoped_lock() /usr/include/boost/detail/lwm_pthreads.hpp:72
>> 0x080598eb
>> 7 boost::detail::sp_counted_base::add_ref_copy()
>> /usr/include/boost/detail/shared_count.hpp:122 0x0805b679
>> 6 shared_count()
>> /usr/lib/boost/include/boost-1_34/boost/detail/shared_count.hpp:216
>> 0x0805b65b
>> 5 shared_ptr() /usr/include/c++/3.4.6/bits/stl_construct.h:81
>> 0x0807a7c8
>> 4
>> boost::program_options::options_description_easy_init::operator()
>
> > This stacktrace suggest that you've built your application with
> > single-threading, and linked it to multi-threaded build of
> > program_options, or vice versa.

> My code is broken down into 2 projects - one compiles into a static
> library and the other into an executable that is referring to the static
> library.
> I am using several boost libraries - multithreaded versions. When I
> compile and link I use -pthread compiler flag.

I still believe you've missed -pthread somewhere, or linking to
non-mt version of program_option (or some other library).

> By the way, I did an experiment where I commented out everything in my
> main method and only left a call to the trouble-maker class. Everything
> works fine then.

Lacking code, I have no idea what's "main method", what's "trouble-maker class",
how one can call a class, and what conclusions can be made here.

> In the same file I also have a helper function that
> uses shared_ptr library. When I uncomment that function, but don't
> envoke it, I still get the same problem.

Again, this suggests that different parts of your program have different
opinions about layout of shared_ptr. Likely, because ST/MT mismatch.

> Is there anything else I should be doing to get this to work correctly?

As I've said earlier, unless you provide completely reproducible test case,
I cannot suggest anything more (and I doubt anybody else will).

- Volodya