From: James Hamlin (jfhamlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-31 15:46:13

Hi,

I've begun using Boost.Test to construct test suites for a project, and it
looks like it does a great job and is full of nice features (I really like
the auto unit tests). But I have a big complaint: the documentation is
pretty poor. I had a hard time getting a simple example off the ground,
because it wasn't clear that I had to link to parts of the library. This was
a surprise since most of Boost is templated and so is available entirely
through the headers. I had to dig a bit to find the comment about the header
that includes the main() code and other concrete functions. In addition,
many of the examples are missing, and some of those that are available
require the linking I mentioned but fail to note this, adding to my initial
confusion. Lastly, the English grammar is very rough in parts, and while I
understand that English may not be the primary language of the author, it
can be a big hurdle to get started using the library when one has to grapple
with the documentation to understand the intentions of the author. I don't
mean to rant - the library is great, and I've already found it useful - but
I'd love to get more out of it, and clean, clear, and thorough documentation
will get me and others started with much less head scratching and
frustration.<boost-test%20at%20emailaccount%20dot%20com%20%28please%20unobscure%29>

Sincerely,
James Hamlin

Postscript: This is Boost-users, but I assume Gennadiy Rozental or somebody
else with the knowledge and ability to update the documentation will see
this message.