From: Paul Giaccone (paulg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-10 12:29:36

Arnstein Ressem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have run into a problem with the boost xml serialization of
> overflowing floats. On Linux these are being serialized as 'inf' into
> the xml files, but when reading the float back in it results in stream
> errors. I have searched the archives to find an answer to this, but
> without luck. The small program below has been compiled and run on
> 32-bit and 64-bit Linux (RedHat Enterprise Linux 4) with boost 1.33.1
> and 1.34.1. In every case it results in a stream error and the float can
> not be read back in from the xml file.
>
> Does anyone know if this is supposed to work ?

I had a similar problem (serialising NaNs - it turned out I had
accidentally left some of my variables uninitialised), and there was a
big discussion about serialising NaNs and infinities about a year or so
ago. I seem to remember that the outcome was this could not be supported
across all platforms, although I could be wrong.

Could someone point this discussion out in the archives?

Paul