From: Jeffrey Brent McBeth (mcbeth_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-11 10:53:37

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 06:19:47PM -0700, Robert Ramey wrote:
> This is a known issue with C++ standard i/o. It is only related to
> serialization
> to the extent that serialization depends upon C++ standard i/o.
>
> This comes up on a regular basis. I'm considering trappnig attempts to
> serialize NaNs as errors - as I think they always are. But then I would
> have
> to document the trap and how to override it as opposed to adding to
> the document why this is not a serialization issue.

My ideal would be for the serialization to catch it, and do some alternate
"right thing(tm)". It is not uncommon for NaNs to be present in our data, and
right now we are having to replace these NaNs with something else prior to
serialization. If it weren't for the "human readable" requirement, we would
probably have tried to switch to the binary archive.

Jeff

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over
 the man who cannot read them."
 -- Mark Twain