From: Bruce Reid (b.reid_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-15 16:47:57

I am trying to use linux-x86 platform to cross-build for linux-ppc. I have
followed Vladimir’s suggestion to specify my cross-compiler/archiver by updating
user-config.jam with:

using gcc : : /path/to/my/linux-ppc-g++ : <archiver>/path/to/my/linux-ppc-ar ;

I have confirmed this works IF I build one of the [header-only] example
programs. This proves that user-config.jam (located in my home directory) is
being found, and the compiler/archiver are specified correctly, since the
resulting executable runs on the correct target (ppc) platform.

However, when attempting to apply the same user-config.jam file to build
boost/serialization, it appears my cross-compiler/archiver directives are
ignored, and the resulting libraries are in the native x86 format, since
attempting to build a program with one of them using my ppc-g++ compiler
produces a spew of link errors. Modifying my makefile to use the native g++
compiler permits a successful linkage with the boost/serialization library, and
the resulting executable runs fine on the x86 platform.

The command I used to build boost/serialization is:

bjam --toolset=gcc --with-serialization --prefix=/my/prefix/path
--exec-prefix=/my/exec-prefix/path/linux_ppc
--libdir=/my/exec-prefix/path/linux_ppc/lib install

I also saved the output from the build, but can’t see any clues to explain where
things went wrong. Any ideas why I seem to be so close, but still cannot produce
boost library binaries for the desired target platform?