From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-03 15:17:28

Lorenzo Cavallaro wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm experiencing something very weird. I'm developing a shared object
> written in C++ and linked against libboost-serialization-gcc41.so. This
> dynamic library is preloaded before launching a test program (proftpd).
>
> As soon as a try to log into the ftp server using a non-anonymous user,
> I get a segfault from the child the was handling the client connection.
> Of course, the same code, without libboost-serialization-gcc41.so
> linked against is perfectly working.
>
> I also removed any serialize method so basically only the libboost
> header file are included with the library linked as well.
>
> Do you guys have any idea of what's going on?

No, but logically thinking there are two ways how boost serialization
can affect things:

        1. It can have a static constructors that kills things.
        2. It can have a function that LD_PRELOAD-y overrides
        something it should not.

I'd suggest incrementally decrease the number of files that are linked into
boost serialization. Of course removing any file from link will give use useless
boost serialization, and you say that for test purposes, you've removed any use.
I think that sooner or later you'll get a minimal example reproducing the
problem and it all will be obvious.

- Volodya