From: Derek Gaston (friedmud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-17 12:49:11

No ideas? Is it not possible?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough...

I'm using Boost Build V2... I want to create a target that looks
something like this:

explicit userplugin ;
lib userplugin
  : $(userpluginfiles)
  :
    <link>shared
    <include>$(encore-root)/include
    <include>$(framework-root)/include
    <include>$(utility-root)/include
  ;

Userplugin is essentially something built by one of our users... it is
a shared object that just needs access to the header files shown
above. Unfortunately, all of those header files are looking for a
bunch of "-D" arguments when compiling... which don't come through for
the userplugin target because it doesn't actually depend on any
libraries itself (which is where the <define>'s are).

The problem is that if I make it depend on the library it links all of
that libary into the .so... which is wasteful since all of those
symbols are going to be in the executable that is loading the .so .
So what I really need is a way to pull in all of the <define> tags
from a library (and it's dependencies) without actually depending on
that library. Or, barring that, a way to exclude linking in the
object files from a library I depend on.

Any help? Do I need to clarify more?

Thanks,
Derek