From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-04 12:37:22

Mike Marchywka wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your help in the past. I would normally drop the issue at
> this point
> until I get my build environment cleaned up
> (" My build is messed up, I haven't read the documentation. What is
> wrong with YOUR library?" LOL).
> but I do have one more question which I believe is related to boost
> regex processing.
> If someone has a known good regex test program or can point to an
> obvious problem
> it may be helpful.

You mean libs/regex/test/regress/*.cpp ?

It would be a good idea to build and run this to verify the sanity of your
setup at least: I still have a suspision that the binaries you are using are
not compatible with your build options or regex headers, but I can't be
sure.

> Again, this code seems to work with Microsoft's
> greta and boost gives identical results on a longer list of SIMPLER
> regexes so I reasonably believe that the problem is due to handling
> of more complicated expression ( One caveat, to be complete, is that
> greta did seem to return some spurious
> results but they are easily filter programmatically, things like
> negative location,
> but the plausible ones that I have checked manually are right).
> However, on this sequence of regexes (regexi?) I get either an abort
> OR the program hangs
> later on non-sensical execution (I know, "Gee, you have a build
> problem and the stack is messed up?").
>
> myboost.cpp114 (GU.*?TACTAAC.{20,40}AG|^)(.*?)(GU.*?TACTAAC.{20,40}AG)
> myboost.cpp114 ATG(...)*?(TAG|TAA|TGA)
> myboost.cpp114 TATAA.*?ATAAA
> myboost.cpp114 (GU.*?TACTAAC.{20,40}AG|^)(.*?)(GU.*?TACTAAC.{20,40}AG)
> myboost.cpp114 ATG(...)*?(TAG|TAA|TGA)
>
> ( progam hangs in my code or had been core dumping in boost::regex )

What is the text you are matching against? If you can give me a concrete
example I can test it here, but "it hangs" isn't very useful I'm afraid ;-)

John.