From: Maik Beckmann (maikbeckmann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-13 10:00:49

Hello

I want to help those who have problems with using bjam to build boost.python
(or other libs).

I assume you're
  - running linux with a proper installed gnu toolchain
  or
  - running Windowshave a proper installed mingw incl. g++ and mingw-make32

Copy this Makefile to your boost folder:

<Makefile>
WITH_LIBS=
#WITH_LIBS+= --with-regex
#WITH_LIBS+= --with-filesystem
#WITH_LIBS+= --with-program_options
#WITH_LIBS+= --with-thread
#WITH_LIBS+= --with-signals
#WITH_LIBS+= --with-test
WITH_LIBS+= --with-python

########## BJAM executable
# set BJAM_EXE to /path/to/prebuild/bjam(.exe)
#
#### Windows: got it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/
BJAM_EXE=boost-jam-3.1.15-1-ntx86/bjam.exe
#
##### Linux: build myself by $ cd tools/jam/src && sh build.sh
# x86 (32-Bit):
#BJAM_EXE=tools/jam/src/bin.linuxx86/bjam
# x86_86 (64-Bit):
#BJAM_EXE=tools/jam/src/bin.linuxx86_64/bjam

BJAM:=$(BJAM_EXE) -j2 -d+2
BOOST_VARIANT=release

# no need to set PYTHONPATH on Linux, but
# if I'm on Windows
export PYTHONPATH=C:\Python25

all:
        $(BJAM) variant=$(BOOST_VARIANT) $(WITH_LIBS) --toolset=gcc stage
</Makefile>

Change the paths (i.e. PYTHONPATH) to make them point to the right location.
Now start a command terminal, cd to the boost folder an run
  - make
or respectively
  - mingw32-make
It works without an user-config.jam file at your $HOME folder.

Porting this Makefile to nmake shouldn't be hard, but I don't have access to a
recent msvc.

Note that this Makefile is simplified from the one I actually use to make it
more newbie friendly. If some of you are using Linux and cygwin/MSYS/cli on
Windows I can post a more intelligent one.

Best Regards,
- Maik Beckmann