From: Eric MALENFANT (Eric.Malenfant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-18 13:46:19

Rob Desbois, le 18 janvier 2008 08:02:

> After trying to compile I realised that a SeekableDevice
> provides read, write and seek functions, nothing else.
> Am I seriously misunderstanding the point of boost::iostreams?

A file_descriptor only implements the Device concept, it not an std::iostream.
If you want an std::iostream, you wrap the Device in a boost::iostreams::stream which, as stated in its documentation: "performs i/o by delegating to a contained Device", and "derives from a specialization of std::basic_istream, std::basic_ostream or std::basic_iostream, depending on whether the underlying Device models Source, Sink or both."

HTH,

Éric Malenfant
If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage.