From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-31 23:02:57

on Tue Dec 11 2007, "Christian Hoffmann" <chrmhoffmann-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to compile boost python so that it links against the debug version. I
> therefore run
>
> bjam toolset=msvc-9.0 threading=multi python-debugging=on link=shared variant=
> debug libs\python\build
>
> Running it with -n shows, that it sets -DBOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON, but it still links
> with python25.lib.
>
> It only picks "right" python25_d.lib, if I add something to my user-config.jam,
> like the following:
>
> using python : 2.5 : C:\\src\\Python-2.5\\PCBuild\\python ; using python : 2.5
> : C:\\src\\Python- 2.5\\PCBuild\\python_d
> : # includes
> : # libs
> : <python-debugging>on ;
>
> What is the difference between the two methods (as a bjam argument and in the
> user-config.jam), and is there a way to combine both on the command
> line?

They're not separate methods. The user-config.jam entry is necessary
because Boost.Build's auto-configuration for Python doesn't look for
debug builds of Python. Even if you add that entry, if (as above) it
isn't the only instance of "using python," you will need
"python-debugging=on" on the command-line. To get both variants built
in one bjam invocation,
you can use

    python-debugging=on python-debugging=off

or

    python-debugging=on,off

HTH, and sorry this took so long.

--