Boost logo

Boost Users :

From: jono (jp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-18 17:31:38

hi all,

i was wondering if there are any formal initiatives in the boost
community to provide 'lock free' data structures using CAS (compare and

in particular, this looks promising...

"Instead of providing a separate atomic smart pointer, we propose
additions to shared_ptr's interface to address this use case. A typical
example scenario — a "lock-free" reader/writer pattern — that takes
advantage of this functionality is outlined below:..."

is this likely to happen this year? i've seen some other discussion,
such as

i've used the Microsoft interlocked API's in a past (audio processing)
project, but i'm developing a video pipeline for Linux/Win32 and it
would be a huge 'boost' to be able to eliminate some locking and have
deterministic real time. if that were introduced via the shared_ptr
interface, i'd be over the moon.

unfortunately, i don't have the skills to really contribute to this
initiative, but i wld like to add my voice to those who might find a use
for it!

Boost-users list run by williamkempf at, kalb at, bjorn.karlsson at, gregod at, wekempf at