From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-19 10:58:35

Igor Mikushkin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have already asked this question about a month ago.
> But it wasn't answered and I suppose to repeat.
>
> I cannot find in docs how to create named vales
> for producing output like shown in this example from docs:
>
> $bin/gcc/debug/multiple_sources --help
> Allows options:
>
> Generic options:
> -v [ --version ] : print version string
> --help : produce help message
>
> Configuration:
> --optimization n : optimization level
> -I [ --include-path ] path : include path
>
> The "--include-path" option shown above has "path" parameter,
> what I have is "arg".

The docs example appears to be stale -- the code always
produces 'args'. I think it's OK, because it relieves you
from the need to think out witty names for parameters. Above,
the word 'path' occurs three times on a line, and probably
does not add much value.

> Also I don't understand how to restrict hidden values.
>
> For example I want command "myutil --help restrict this" to throw
> an exception because of "restrict" and "this" but it doesn't do it.

Why? 'restrict' appears to the value of the option --help, and this
is an argument. What's wrong?

- Volodya