From: Boris Gubenko (Boris.Gubenko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-20 21:07:42

stacie_at_[hidden] wrote:
> User config file:
> using gcc: : :<cxxflags>-mlp64 <linkflags>-mlp64
>
> Is this suffcient, or do I need to indicate the archtiecture (ia64 on
> itanium) in some way?

gcc.jam on the trunk has fixes for HP-UX, both ia64 and PA-RISC. For
64-bit build, you can specify the following in your user-config.jam:

using gcc : : : <compileflags>"-mlp64" <linkflags>"-mlp64" ;

There is no need to indicate archtiecture. Note that HP-UX/gcc testing
on the trunk is done in 32-bit mode -- click on HP-UX_ia64_gcc to see
user-config.jam I'm using and other details.

> Threading:
> gcc.jam indicates that GCC on HP-UX does not support threading.

This is a bug in 1.34. Fixed in gcc.jam on the trunk.

> Failing libs
> Zlibs and bzlib builds fail. How do I disable building them? Can the
> build fail and it's not a problem for the rest of the libraries.

You can pass the following options to bjam to disable zlib:

--bjam-options="-sNO_BZIP2=1 -sNO_ZLIB=1"

> Do I need to modify any of the source to work correctly? Would I be
> better off using a development build?

The best would be to use stable soon-to-be-released 1.35.

gcc.jam in 1.35 is different from that on trunk, but, as far as I can
tell, the differences are mostly "cosmetic" ones.

Unfortunately, I cannot point you to 1.35 tests results on HP-UX/gcc.
I asked permission to do release branch testing, but the request was
denied. See <http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2008/01/132329.php>

> Will boost work correctly on HP 11.31?

It does work on 11.31. I do boost testing with aCC6 on a 11.31 machine.
See test results for HP-UX_ia64_aCC, both trunk and release branch.

Thanks,
  Boris