From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-28 13:29:08

Hello *,

I have a question regarding the tools BOOST_<level>_THROW:

Why is it required to specify the exception being thrown? What if I don't
know which exception is thrown, but I know that it should be thrown?

My use case is:

I have a worker class which executes some functionality. I know that the
functionality will throw, but I would like to test that my class will remain
in the consistent state after the exception was thrown? With
BOOST_<level>_THROW(class_inst.execute()) I could spare the
try{}catch(...){} block and make other test assertions, but unfortunately it
is not possible, due to lacking of this utility.

I would propose a throw guard into the lib, which does not produce any
assertion, but swallows an exception. My intention is:
I have to develop inside of a huge framework. The functionality I am trying
to execute will only work on a target hardware. Since I am inside a debugger
and not going to test the the executed functionality itself, but check the
state of my class I think such a tool might help.

With Kind Regards,
Ovanes