From: Eloi Gaudry (eloi.gaudry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-29 19:21:34

I'd like to get your point of view on the following topic: runtime
performance of binaries built against the IBM VisualAge c++ compilers.

I've been recently investigating (with a colleague) various performance
matters on a subset of platforms: Power 4 and Power 5 architecture
running on different flavors of the AIX operating system, using binaries
built with VisualAge C/C++ . We built and ran the boost::uBlas
regression tests using either the VisualAge C/C++ v.9 or the GCC 4.0
compilers. Using similar levels of optimization, we observed that the
GCC binaries were running much faster. The same tests were performed on
a Linux 64-bits machine using a standard Core2 processor and GCC-4.2 and
performance was again much much higher.

Are we missing something here, something that could allow us to get a
decent level of performance with the IBM compilers ?

Thanks,
Eloi

--
Eloi Gaudry