From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-10 12:26:07

Anteru wrote:
> Howard Hinnant schrieb:
>> I can answer the std::part. I attempted to introduce a fairly
>> rudimentary priority system into the std::thread proposal and it ended
>> up being sufficiently controversial that I pulled it in order to get
>> the std::thread proposal to advance. It is my hope (as a fallback
>> position) that the "native_handle" interface will allow one to adjust
>> thread priorities, albeit in a non-portable fashion.
>
> Is it likely Boost::Thread will get some support for this anytime soon?
> This "no-priority" thing is also keeping me back from switching some
> stuff over to Boost, as I wonder how you are supposed to spawn of a
> background-idle thread without priorities. The only cross-platform
> library that supports it is AFAIK Qt -- see
> http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4beta/qthread.html#start, which is quite handy.

Actually ACE also supports thread priorities in a cross-platform fashion --
see the spawn method:

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/Doxygen/Stable/ace/classACE__Thread__Manager.html

There's a change to boost.thread on the development branch somewhere to
support priority that never got included on boost.thread once Bill K abandoned
the project. You might go look for that in SVN and pull it into your version.

Jeff