From: Jeff Garland (azswdude_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-16 13:50:24

Daniel James wrote:

>> The error message has been:
> [snip]
>> /usr/include/boost/date_time/special_values_parser.hpp:34: error: changes
>> meaning of 'special_values_parser' from 'class
>> boost::date_time::special_values_parser<date_type, charT>'
> [snip]
>> Is this an error inside boost? Or is it possible that gnash-sources define a
>> prototype in a wrong manner?
>
> I had a look at the files history, and found this:
>
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/40558
>
> So it's probably a boost error which will be fixed in the next release
> (1.35), which should be fairly soon.

Actually it hasn't been -- this was reported after we cut the release branch.
  To put this problem in perspective, gcc 4.3 is the *only* compiler AFIAK to
give a diagnostic on this code.

The bottom line is that we can't hold a release that's pretty much ready every
time a new compiler version is released -- we'd never finish...and we already
have enough trouble with that. Now, I'd be all for a 1.35.x to add support
for additional compilers -- assuming *someone new* wants to volunteer to do
the work involved. We have a limited number of people that have been willing
to step up and run a release. All those folks are very busy, and so I'd prefer
to move right toward a quick 1.36 release...of course new blood to help with
that would be appreciated too.

Jeff