From: Zeljko Vrba (zvrba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-17 15:36:11

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:18:05PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> So there's nothing I can use to try to split time evenly between them?

No and yes. Yes, if you use POSIX realtime scheduling and SCHED_RR policy.
But this is rather advanced, and if you have a bug in your program, nothing
else will get to run, i.e. you will end up with a locked-up machine.

> bad idea. If the port gets extra data while I'm doing something else,
> won't it store in the buffer?

Yes. But the question is -- when the data from the buffer will be delivered
to the application. Or vice-versa: when you send something to the stream,
when will it be delivered to the device?

> That may help, but in the long run, there are people that might be using
> this in connection with a GUI. How do I make sure my stuff doesn't take up
> all the resources? Or is that partly the GUI programmer's job? To split

You don't, that's the kernel's job.