From: Derrick Hathaway (d.hathaway_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-26 15:38:59

Hello,
I wonder if some of you who may have had experience with Google's
Summer of Code program could give me a little direction. I have an
idea which projects I will be applying for. But I had a few questions.
First of all, do I need to find a mentor who has already been accepted
into the program before I apply? Or, is that part of the deciding
factor for being accepted (wether or not there is a mentor for the
proposed project)? There are a couple of projects listed in the Boost
Wiki [http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Google_Summer_Of_Code_2008]
that I am interested in applying for. I have been using the Boost
libraries for a few years now and am anxious for an opportunity to
give back.

My senior project
[http://derrickhathaway.googlepages.com/gsi_mds.tar.gz] is a market
data server based upon ASIO and I'm particularly interested in the
projects related to that library. I have communicated a little with
Michael Dickey who is involved in the development of the Pion Network
Library [http://www.pion.org/projects/pion-network-library]. He is
also working now with the developers of the C++ Network Library
[http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpp-netlib]. This is one of the GSoC
projects I will be proposing/applying for. He has been very helpful,
but suggested that I inquire of those who may be involved with Google
Summer of Code already.

Thanks in advance,
Derrick