From: Darren Garvey (darren.garvey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-29 19:58:53

Hi Bruno,

2008/4/29 Bruno Lalande <bruno.lalande_at_[hidden]>:

> Hello Darren,
>
> I have recently proposed (and sent a first version of) a CGI
> parameters parser for Boost.Program_Options.

I saw this but have been too busy to comment unfortunately.

> It obviously does not
> cover all what a complete CGI library can handle (it's not the goal)
> but permits to retrieve parameters just the same way as you would do
> with command line or config file parameters using Program_Options.

There's actually a bit in the CGI 'spec' about command-line parsing, here:

   http://rfc.net/rfc3875.html#s4.4.

I was going to address that _eventually_ - it should literally take only a
few extra lines of code - but if your patches were accepted I wouldn't have
to, or want to since I prefer your solution. A Program_options patch should
work fine in the minority cases mentioned in the link above, plus, the
ability to use config files as well is very appealing (easy troubleshooting;
automated testing; accurate benchmarking, anyone?). Nice idea.

> And
> it takes advantage of the fact that this library already has some
> useful features like conversion into different data types.

FWIW, I plan to provide this kind of thing in the CGI library too.

> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2008/04/135607.php
>
> If you decide to release your CGI library into Boost, this CGI parser
> for Program_Options could become a simple binding to your code,
> providing a different way to easily access CGI parameters for people
> who don't need more advanced features.

Sure, go for it! Besides, who knows if the CGI library will ever get up to
Boost's standards?! :)

Cheers,
Darren

P.S. If there's still interest, I'll hopefully be able to request a formal
review in the next few months.