From: Brian Davis (bitminer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-12 14:03:19

I am with Tim on the documentation. I too feel that bjam needs better
documentation and also more examples of simple, medium, and complex
projects. There are some issues with bjam in my opinion having used it for
about a year now (longer when I consider we were integrating it with our
existing build system) on what I would consider a large scale project.
These issues are as follows:

1) Lack documentation concerning the pitfalls of using bjam. Basically
common issues people can run into. There are lessons learned from my use I
think people may be interested in.
2) Documentation needs to be modified to show use and examples in small
(hello world), medium (my wonder wigit), and large (compiling chrooted
images on multiple different embedded target computers, and multiple vendors
of Linux while supporting Windows builds for shared code). I think this
would expose what the current documentation is good at and where it is
lacking.
3) Generators seem too complex to construct from scratch
4) Generators need to be compiled/interpreted each build, seemingly,
slowing down the build process.

I am willing to help in these areas. Like I said at boostcon "Lets fix the
problem" if we can. If it is felt that bjam must be scraped in favor of a
simpler build system, one that may be maintained by others then I would like
to see a build system that is as elegant and syntactically powerful as bjam.

Brian