From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-01 06:22:50

David Philp wrote:

> On 01/07/2008, at 1:34 PM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>
>> Is there a file called "Jamroot" in root directory -- specifically,
>> in /sw/lib/boost-1_35 directory. If not, this is not a good Boost source
>> tree.
>
> There is not, though there is a Jamroot in the tutorial directory.
> (There is a boost-build.jam in the root directory. I thought might be
> equivalent, but soft-linking Jamfile or Jamroot -> boost-build.jam does
> not help.) Thanks.
>
> The rest of boost (well, a few bits I've used here and there) seem to
> work, though, i.e. boost has built and installed into /sw. I've had no
> trouble with the unit test, program options, or threads frameworks from
> boost.
>
> It may be that the fink package maintainer did not intend to install a
> Boost source tree. Does it follow that the examples will be broken but
> the installation might be otherwise correct?

It might be.

> Or do I need to fix this
> before I can use Boost Python?
>
> (My first attempt to use Boost Python doesn't work but that isn't
> surprising.)

If you want to use it according to the directions in the tutorial or
supplied with Boost, you'll need the Boost Jamfiles. If you have a
/sw/lib/boost-1_35/libs/python/build/Jamfile, then you could try
downloading
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/export/46943/tags/release/Boost_1_35_0/Jamroot
to /sw/lib/boost-1_35. If you don't have any Jamfiles or the previous
suggestion doesn't work, I suggest you get a clean Boost source tree and
start with that. See http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing