From: David Philp (david.philp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-02 20:44:38

Hi

Thanks for your help. It now all works. If you don't mind, I've got
some follow-up questions because I'm still not sure how this should be
working.

>> exe my_exe
>> : my_code.cpp /boost/program_options//program_options
>> ;
>
> This should work provided:
>
> - you have complete Boost source tree (with no random missing
> files :-)
> - you have, in your project:
>
> use-project /boost : <path-to-boost-source-tree-root> ;

Ok. It doesn't work because I don't have the Boost source tree, and
the fink package isn't supposed to be a boost source tree (it's
intended to be a binary distribution of the libraries, + headers, +
bjam, + whatever is appropriate).

My site-config now has
project site-config
   : requirements <include>/sw/include <library-path>/sw/lib ;

and the project file:
lib boost_program_options ;
exe my_exe
   : my_source.cpp boost_program_options ;

Is this "the proper" (i.e. platform- & site-independent, designer-
intended, future-proof) way of referring to "boost.program_options"?

Or, is use of /boost/program_options//program_options meant to be
"the" way of referring to the boost source?

My guess is that the former is appropriate if one is "merely using"
boost, but the latter is appropriate for developing boost.

(Who does the bjam documentation? Once I've got this sorted, I'd like
to write a bit on "how to access system libraries" if that would be
useful. I can't find any reference at all to <library-path>.)

>> Also, I have to compile python modules with the following command
>> line:
>> bjam --libdir=/sw/lib/python2.5 --undefined=-Wl,-flat_namespace,-
>> undefined,dynamic_lookup --compatibility_version=1.35.0 --
>> current_version=1.35.0 my_target
>>
>> (I have set using python ; in my site-config.) If I take out any of
>> those options, the compile fails. Is it all really necessary though?
>> Or should I define it in a config file somewhere?
>
> Honestly, I don't know what any of those options do.

Neither do I... they were suggested by the fink maintainer, and I have
trimmed them down to the point where it fails if I don't include them.

I suppose my question is: is darwin.jam or something else just
supposed to define these, so that bjam "just knows" that these options
are required?