From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-31 13:17:07

The serialization library contains some "utility" components which are
necessary
to make the library function and no boost components existed at the
time - and still don't exist - to perform these functions. These
components are:

extended_type_info - extention to type_info to permit portable export/import
of class id and dyamic loading/unloading of components based on this
class id. Also implements this functionality on systems which do not
support RTTI

void_cast - runtime casting between types identified by extended_type_info
above.

utf8_codecvt_facet - Ron Garcias original component and documentation.

BOOST_STRONG_TYPEDEF - assignes identifiable type to primitives.

state_saver - save and automatically restore from copy of a state variable
on the stack.

Dataflow Iterators - adds templated constructor to boost iterators which
permits transparent and powerful compile time iterator composition. Used
to implemement a myriad of transforms for character strings.

smart_cast

automatically selects static cast if possible. If not possible, selects a
dynamic cast.

BOOST_STATIC_WARNING

just like BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT - but just emits a warning. I've
been unable to make this work for the most recent Intel compilers. Its
possible this might change in the future.

singleton - a lock free singleton used to make serialization thread-safe
without requiring linkage to the threading library.

They are documented as "other classes" in the documentation of the boost
serialization library. The serialization library also includes tests of all
these
components. Some of them have names/namespaces in boost. Last
year I was prevailed upon by a small group of developers to change
the names/namespaces of those components so that they are not
in the boost namespace. I've agreed to do that and expect that this
change will occur in boost version 1.37. So, BOOST_STATIC_WARNING
will become BOOST_SERIALIZATION_STATIC_WARNING,
boost::state_saver will become boost::serialization::state_saver, etc.

Robert Ramey