From: Andrej van der Zee (mavdzee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-31 23:10:33

Hi, > I don't like to force the compiler to behave in a way that is not > standard compliant. Or do you mean to force the compiler to > actually inline all inline functions? This is impossible for > virtual functions. Yes that is what I meant. Somehow the AIX linker does not inline a bunch of inline-functions resulting in these warnings. But I see now that this is not an option for virtual inline functions (but uhhhh, why would one inline a virtual function anyway? Seems like a contradiction). >> 2) Add the native AIX linker option: -bhalt:5 to suppress the warning > This is dangerous, since it may suppress real diagnostics, but at least > it is unlikely to break correct code. Yes I agree, this is what IBM sais: "The -bhalt link editor option specifies the maximum error level for the linking process to continue, and suppresses any error below the maximum." >> 3) Explicitely declare inline functions static > This can violate the ODR. It is out of the question as far as I am concerned. Hmmm, don't follow you here. > The linker ought not to be issuing a warning. I don't suppose there's a > way to make it shut up without also suppressing legitimate warnings, is > there? Not that I know of, but I have fairly limited experience on AIX. I just have to port a project... This is what IBM sais about possible solutions (it is for the AIX compiler xlCC, but the same native linker): "To have the V5.0 or V6.0 compiler give the non-inlined inline functions internal linkage, specify the-qstaticinlineflag when compiling your source files. Alternatively, the warning messages from ld can be suppressed by specifying the -bhalt:5flag when linking your application." Well, I guess there is no good solution then. Cheers, Andrej __________________________________________________________ Not happy with your email address?. Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo! http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html