From: Markus Werle (numerical.simulation_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-25 10:03:01

<joaquin <at> tid.es> writes:

> And now I'd like to optimize call_f's implementation by avoiding the
> creation of the T object when it is not necessary (as in bar, whose memfun
> f is static).

IMHO this is unnecessary if you are only interested in avoiding
the small object instatiation. I expect the compiler to erase them.
I once played with template code that had nesting levels of 50 and more
with function calls calling functions calling ... etc. ... calling C-library
code.

Using link time optimization destroyed all of those: the first step in debugger
went right through to the C-library call. The compiler sorted it out for me.
No smybols of my own code in a symbol table print.

OTOH this remains an interesting question: Might be useful if you want to ensure
to grab only those classes with the static version for reasons other than
runtime performance.

Markus