From: Manuel Jung (gzahl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-02 11:48:11

Jaakko Järvi wrote:

> The review of Stjepan Rajko's Dataflow library starts today, September
> 1st, and will run until September 10th.

> Description of the library:
>
> Dataflow is a generic library for dataflow programming. Dataflow
> programs can typically be expressed as a graph in which vertices
> represent components that process data, and edges represent the flow
> of data between the components. As such, dataflow programs can be
> easily reconfigured by changing the components and/or the connections.
>
> This review focuses on the Dataflow.Signals layer of the library. For
> its data transport mechanism, Dataflow.Signals uses Boost.Signals
> which can be used to make lasting dataflow connections based on
> function calls. Dataflow.Signals provides the following to facilitate
> signals-based dataflow networks:
>
> * A number of useful general-purpose components, and building blocks
> for implementing new components.
> * Various free functions and operators for connecting and using
> components.
>
> The library documentation provides some concrete examples of how
> Dataflow.Signals layer can be used. Some examples are:
>
> * Implementing distributed dataflow applications using
> Dataflow.Signals and Boost.Asio
> * An image processing network using Dataflow.Signals and Boost.GIL
> * A GUI dataflow editor (located in the Dataflow.Blueprint documentation)
>
> While the Dataflow library contains other layers, only the
> Dataflow.Signals layer is ready for review. Reviewers are welcome to
> provide feedback for any part of the library, but please be aware that
> the documentation and implementation for the other layers may be
> lacking (for example, there is the generic support layer, which
> provides concepts applicable to different dataflow frameworks, and can
> be used to develop generic dataflow code, as well as the
> Dataflow.Blueprint layer which provides run-time reflection and
> modeling of dataflow networks in a Boost Graph Library graph for any
> dataflow framework with implemented Dataflow library support). For
> the time being, please consider these other layers as implementation
> details or proof-of-concept examples, as appropriate.
>
> The library is accessible as a tarball at:
> http://www.boostpro.com/vault/index.php?&directory=Dataflow
>
> The documentation can be accessed here:
> http://www.dancinghacker.com/code/dataflow/
>
> The documentation particular to the Dataflow.Signals layer under review:
> http://www.dancinghacker.com/code/dataflow/dataflow/signals.html
>
> Dataflow depends on many existing Boost libraries, such as Fusion and
> MPL. The Dataflow.Signals layer builds functionality over
> Boost.Signals. The Dataflow library has been tested using a recent
> version of the Boost trunk, as well as the 1.35 release. Tests and
> examples have been built successfuly on OS X (GCC 4.0, 4.2), Linux
> (GCC 4.2), and Windows (MSVC 8.0 and to some degree MinGW GCC 4.2).

> Questions you may want to answer in your review:

> [...]

Hey,

The filter of the GIl example is always processed, whether or whether not it
is multiplexed to the output, right? Maybe it would be good to insert a
conditional component right before the filter, therefore the data is
dropped, if the multiplexer takes data from slot 0. Otherwise a senseless
computation is done, if the filter is turned off.

I wanted to alter the example as suggested, but i don't know how to use the
conditional component? I couldn't find a example for that. Maybe you could
point out how to use it.

Kind Regards
Manuel