Subject: [Boost-users] offtopic: std C++ / STL / boost-friendly UI framework?
From: Ákos Maróy (akos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-18 10:19:43

Hi,

This is a bit of an offtopic question, but I wonder if there are any /
if there will be any standard C++ / STL / boost friendly UI frameworks?

When I look at UI libraries, like Qt or MS MFC, they all have their own
constructs to generic concepts that are well (and better) covered in
standard C++ / STL / boost. Like they have QArray, CArray, QFile, etc. etc.

This is bad for a number of reasons. For one, one has to write a lot of
adaptation code, like taking values from an STL iterator and filling a
QArray with it, or the other way around. The second, much worse is that
sloppy developers tend to stick with the UI-library specific constructs,
and thus dig themselves into non-portable (in the case of MFC), or
library- and license-specific (Qt which in GPL) code. And they are
usually quite resistant to reasoning on using more generic and portable
code for the same purpose.

Thus I wonder - does anyone foresee a portable UI library which would be
based on standard C++ / STL / boost? By this I mean that the generic
constructs would be taken from here, and the UI library would really
only contain things specific to UIs?

Akos