Subject: Re: [Boost-users] offtopic: std C++ / STL / boost-friendly UI framework?
From: Ákos Maróy (akos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-18 12:02:48

Deng Xiyue wrote:
> 在 2008-09-18四的 16:19 +0200,Ákos Maróy写道:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a bit of an offtopic question, but I wonder if there are any /
>> if there will be any standard C++ / STL / boost friendly UI frameworks?
>>

> Gtkmm, the official C++ binding of GTK+[1], meets the requirement IMO.
> Though being a binding of GTK+ in nature, smart pointer Glib::RefPtr<>
> is restricted to its glib counterpart, the binding API was designed with
> standard C++ in mind, and uses standard containers, hence STL components
> can be used seemlessly, as well as boost utilities. It's one of the
> most standard C++ compliant GUI APIs at the moment.
>
> [1] http://www.gtkmm.org/

I've used gtkmm a few years ago, and I didn't really have a good time
doing so. for one, there's no native MacOS X port (only for X Windows on
MacOS X, but 99% of Mac users don't run X). also, as it's a wrapper on
top an OO-like C library gtk+, subclassing doesn't work as one would
expect in C++. the main reason is that in the C code, the class type is
stored locally, and subclasses will have the same gtk+ (C) 'class' type
as their parent, actually, which provides quite a bit of confusion...

Akos