Subject: [Boost-users] Boost Serlialization on XScale problem
From: lee nookx (lnookx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-28 15:34:57

Hi,

I am having a strange problem with the Boost Serilalizartion library
on an XScale platform. I am using v1.34.1 of the libraries and I'm
seeing segfaults when creating an archive object, but only under some
circumstances.

The problem occurs in several different projects, but I've been able
to reproduce it using the most simple case from the tutorial
(http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0/libs/serialization/doc/index.html).
The problem that I see is that the code segfaults at these lines, and
a core dump shows this error is occuring down on malloc_trim():

    std::ifstream ifs("filename");
    boost::archive::text_iarchive ia(ifs); // <--- causes a segfault.

However, if I move the "std::ifstream ifs("filename");" further up the
code (next to the initialisation of the ofs object, then the code
works fine.

Has anyone else seen any problems like this before?

We have been using Boost::Thread, and Boost::Date-Time without any
problems for a while, so I believe that this may just be a
serialization library problem. I am also going to give v1.36.0 a try
to see if it's something subtle that's been fixed already.

(I have a core dump that I can make available if anyone needs it....)

--lee