Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost-user] bjam and env var
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-03 12:01:40

Vladimir Prus <vladimir <at> codesourcery.com> writes:

> > How about complete 3rd party setup? What If I need to specify include path
> > library path, libraries to link with list and set of defines?
>
> You'd need 4 environment variables and a lib target in our project that will
> use those variables to define things.

I've got only one "unknown" - env var 3RD_PARTY_LIB_HOME. The rest is deducible.
The list of libs to link with and list of defines I know.

> Alternatively, you can declare a library
> target in user-config.jam, something like this:

I don't think user-config is an option here. I need to setup my Jamfile so that
user only need to set 1 env var for it to work.

> project user-config ;
>
> lib third_party
> : # sources
> : # requirements
> <name>third_party <search>some-library-path
> : # default build
> : # usage requirements
> <include>some-include-path <define>some-define
> ;

How do I list all the libraries to link with? Some static some dynamic.

> and you can refer to this from your project using
>
> /user-config//third_party
>
> notation. More complex, but unlimately best approach is creating
> file third_party.jam, with the following content:

Can I put this file along with my own Jamfile? How will I refer to it?

[...]
> The last approach is better because the 'init' rule can do smart things --
> like adding some defines automatically, or accepting just 'install root'
> and computing library paths and includes paths from that, etc.

Why Can't I do a deduction in regular lib rule? in most cases it's just simple
$(HOME)/include and $(HOME)/lib

Gennadiy