Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [shared_ptr] Cannot include shared_ptr.hpp in a Visual Studio .Net 2003 managed C++ file
From: Maik Beckmann (beckmann.maik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-06 07:31:25

Daniel Krügler schrieb am Montag 06 Oktober 2008 um 11:25:
> I'm not aware of one - /CLR is not officially supported by boost.
> Personally I hit about some severe problems in the context of
> CLR and there is not solution in sight. One of the real nasty things
> is a defect in the conversion of pointer-to-member to bool -
> which is the canonical way to check smart pointers:
>
> http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?Feedba
>ckID=339523
>
> Greetings from Bremen,
>
> Daniel Krügler

I never used CLR stuff myself, but AFAIK one of the fundamentals is automatic
garbage collection (MS refers to this as "managed"). So everything relying on
the deterministic behavior of C++ ctors/dtors won't work.

I doubt anything in boost is written with automatic garbage collectors in
mind. This article regarding the boehmgc shows how to wrap stl containers
 - http://www.ddj.com/cpp/184401632

I'm new to this topic as well, so please correct me if I'm wrong so far and
with the following statement: there have to be clear interfaces between
automatic gc code and normal deterministic code. Mixing doesn't work out of
the box.

Best,
 -- Maik