Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Linker error with boost_1_36_0
From: Adam Merz (adammerz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-10 18:33:47

DDBeatty writes:
> I know it was your opinion. I am just interested in it because DLL's are
> something I just do. I was wondering what reasons you may have for
> preferring not to use them.
>
> To that end, I may be displaying some inexcusable ignorance but what is
> WPO?
>
> I don't want to get into a long discussion about this. Just curiosity in
> passing.

WPO is Whole Program Optimization, enabled in MSVC with the /GL compiler option
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0zza0de8.aspx) and the /LTCG linker
option (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xbf3tbeh.aspx). For code that
benefits especially well from inlining, it can be a great boon to performance.
That alone is enough for me to use static libs on Windows when I can; PGO
(Profile Guided Optimization) only furthers my opinion. :-)

Another factor for me is the size of .dlls. My boost_regex-vc90-mt-1_36.dll is
696KB; if I'm only using half the functionality in boost.regex, I don't want to
distribute the functionality I'm not using with my application.