Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Maximum Size of Matrix in Boost
From: John Wilkinson (jwilkinson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-27 12:29:00

>AMDG
>
>Bob Wilkinson wrote:
>>> I have a matrix withn 10^7 * 10^7 rows,
>>> each with double value like 0.333.
>>> All this printed in text file.
>>>
>>> I want to slurp all of them in Boost Matrix,
>>> with 6GB RAM, can it handle such matrix?
>>>
>> I think that 800 million million is larger than 6 thousand million,
>> so I do not think that your matrix will fit into your memory.
>>

>Not to mention that 800 TB is probably more than will fit on your hard
>drive.

If the 100 trillion values for the matrix are stored in a text file,
that file will not be a whole lot smaller than the 800 TB required to
hold the matrix in memory. So it seems likely that the matrix is
sparse. uBLAS has tools for sparse matrices. I'm not familiar enough
with it to know the maximum size, but the documentation is available at
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_37_0/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/index.htm

John