Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Quickbook] How to create pdf file
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-28 11:57:05

>> What it says about PDF's though is:
>>
>> "First of all you will need an FO processor, there are basically only two
> free two
>> choices here:
>>
>> * Apache FOP from http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/
>> * XEP Personal edition from
>> http://www.renderx.com/download/personal.html
>>
>> The XEP processor generally produces much better results, but inserts a
> small
>> "built with XEP" advert in the footer of each page. You will also need a
> Java
>> virtual machine to run the FO processor on.
>
> I've seen the RenderX's footer in other pdf doc's before.
> I've downloaded the XEP Personal edition and installed successfully.
>

>> You will then need to edit your user-config.jam file to point to the
> location of the
>> FO processor, for example:
>>
>> using fop :
>> # path to invocation batch file:
>> C:/Progra~1/RenderX/xep/xep.bat
>
> I've changed this line to correspond to my settings:
> D:/Program Files/RenderX/XEP/xep.bat
>
>> :
>> # path to Java installation, this is ignored if you're using XEP:
>> C:/PROGRA~1/Java/j2re1.4.2_12
>> ;
>
> I've added the am lines at the end of the, virtually blank,
> tools/build/v2/user-config.jam file.
> And then I invoke
>
> bjam pdf
>
> but I got nothing except an error:
>
> error: Unknown target type FO
>
> and other semmingly useless message.
>
> More help still needed. Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, did you configure quickbook and docbook in the user-config.jam as
well? If not I'll refer you back to the Wiki page ;-)

BTW, building boost documentation like this is really only designed for
Boost's authors and maintainers, it's not intended that end-users should
have to set up such a long toolchain unless they really want to!

Regards, John.