Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [asio] io_service threadpool performance
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-17 17:44:28

Oliver Seiler wrote:
> I'm guessing that the asio io_service isn't really geared towards
> effective use of
> multi-core CPUs where you're trying to schedule a large number of small
> computational tasks; I'll go out on a limb and say that this *wasn't* the
> intent of the library (as the name somewhat implies).
>
> Not sure if that was helpful, but it let me play around with TBB,
> which seems very
> nice.

You're saying that it is taken for granted that ASIO is bad at handling a
great deal of (small) tasks? Taken that for true, then asio also must be
bad at handling a large number of small network messages. I.e., I shouldn't
try handling all data of a couple of NICs with ASIO, at least not using a
threadpool setup?

I was under the impression that ASIO is a high-performance asynchronous
event and IO library, and as such, is good at everything it does... Perhaps
a lock-free task-queue would change things for the better.

Thanks for pointing out TBB, I'll take a look -- however I'm primarily
interested in taking message handling/event handling to the max.

Cheers,

Rutger