Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] Export question
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-08 16:31:05

Tom Aylesworth wrote:

> I hope you don't mind me saying, however, that the documentation
> leaves a little to be desired. In addition to this issue, I also
> spent a few hours trying to track down an error caused by the fact
> that I originally had my BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT macros wrapped in a
> namespace clause. I had placed the macros after my class
> declarations in the header file and therefore they were wrapped in
> the same namespace as the classes themselves. I finally found a post
> on this list from someone who pointed out they have to be outside of
> namespaces. I haven't seen that mentioned in the Boost documentation
> on the EXPORT macros.
>
> If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to donate some time to
> reworking some of the documentation to address these concerns.

In the latest 1.39 documentation, I've added a Tips 'n Tricks section
with the idea that those who have difficulties with the library can
have a constructive way to vent thier frustration. I'm happy to
accept additions to this section via the TRAC submission process.
And I'm also happy to accept re-work amplification of the documentation
via the same process. Of course I can't guarentee to accept anything
that goes along but I've earned a reputation as an easy going person
so it's worth a shot.

I'm also interested in considering "case studies" which show how to
use/extend the library in less common situations. Examples are
adding facilities by deriving from existing classes, and things like
that. These items would have to include a small (that is quite SMALL)
self contained demo/example which illustrates one and only one point.

Robert Ramey