Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [BGL] Is it possible to control algorithm's behavior by visitor?
From: Jeremiah Willcock (jewillco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-22 14:02:32

> Sorry. I should give a example. Note that edge has no uni or bi type. All
> edge is bi, az capacity for data from source to target, za capacity for data
> from target to source. It is different from un-direct graph edge: If edge
> has capacity 5 and I go through it from source to target with 3 capacity & 2
> capacity in reverse. This edge will be dead. But in telecom model, this edge
> still can accommodate 2 capacity from source to target and 3 capacity in
> reverse.
>

> D====E
> || ||
> A====B====C
>
> Above is a graph. line 1 connect A & B, line 2 connect B & C. line 1 has
> cost 1, capacity 5. line 2 has cost 2, capacity 10.
>
> Now, I want to send data from A to B at bandwidth 5, so I establish a uni
> connection c1(it is uni because all I want is send, no receive). from A to
> B. This c1 connection direction is from A to B and line 1 direction is from
> A to B, they are identical. Notice that line has 2 separated capacity, that
> means: if a line has capacity x, this line can transmit data from source to
> destination at bandwidth x AND from destination to source at bandwidth x. So
> we say az direction capacity of line 1 was used by c1.
> After established c1, we can establish a c2 from B to A at bandwidth 5. This
> c2 will use za capacity of line 1.
> More step, we assume line 2's source is vertex C & destination vertex is B.
> Then we can establish a uni connection c3 from A to C(forget c1 & c2 at this
> moment), this c3 will use line 1's az capacity and line 2's za capacity(c3's
> direction contradict with line 2).
> Above is the rule of capacity usage. Cost is same as weight, the weight of
> edge. A shortest path is the lowest cost path. This is same as Graph Theory.
>
> Also, we can establish a connection used to BOTH send & receive data between
> two vertex. This connection is bi-connection. bi-connection will use a
> line's az & za capaciy together. It requires both az & za must belong to
> same line. That means bi-connection's send data path & receive data path
> MUST have same edge sequence.
>
> Now clear all connections and edge properties in this graph. Let re-assign
> them:
> line(ab): cost 1, capacity 5
> line(bc): cost 10, capacity 5
> line(bd): cost 1, capacity 5
> line(de): cost 1, capacity 5
> line(ec): cost 1, capacity 5
> line(xy) means edge's source vertex is x, target vertex is y.
> A bi-connection c1 with bandwidth 4 from A to C is: a---b---d----e----c,
> cost 4. smaller than a----b----c, cost 11.
> After c1, can we establish a uni connection c2 from C to A with bandwidth 1?
> OK
> After c2, can we establish a uni connection c3 from B to A? No, because
> line(ab)'s za capacity is full. They are 4(used by c1) + 1(used by c2) = 5.
> Now, the capacity of line(ab) is: only az capacity has 1 available.

> [...]

Are you sure you don't want a max-flow algorithm instead? Some algorithm
that finds optimal flows with costs for edges? Are you trying to find the
shortest path by adding up the costs of the edges? If you are trying to
find the shortest path using only edges with a certain capacity left, you
can ignore directions; using both directions of an undirected edge would
create a cycle in the output path, which is not possible with only
positive edge weights.

You might want to look through
http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/course/other/urban_or_book/www/////book/chapter6/contents6.html
to see if any of those problems match what you are trying to do. I am not
completely sure whether you really want a shortest-path algorithm or
something else.

-- Jeremiah Willcock