Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::thread Compile error with Sun Studio 12
From: Roman Morokutti (roman.morokutti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-28 16:25:14

Anthony Williams wrote:
> If you declare variables "extern" at block scope then you need to
> provide a declaration at global scope too.
>
> The point of declaring them extern in the example is to say that these
> variables are accessible to, and used by, code elsewhere in the
> system. In particular, another thread will lock the mutex, set done to
> true and then notify the condition variable.
>
> Anthony
Thank you for your explanation, Anthony.

As I am relatively new to threading, I have another question regarding
your example:

Are those variables considered to be for thread local storage. And if, would
it be preferable then to use the 'extern' specifier in general?

The problem for me (as a novice) on this example is, that it is shown in
a very isolated context.

Another question:

When will the patches for the Sun Compiler be integrated into the trunk.
For me, I use the CC 5.10 version, these patches worked well.

Roman