Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost] Steps to build boost_1_34_1 for 64 bitplatform.
From: Andrew Holden (aholden_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-29 09:17:38

Jaiswal, Usha [OS-IE] wrote on Friday, May 29, 2009 1:27 AM:

> Can anyone tell me the steps to build boost_1_34_1 for 64 bit platform..??
>
> Configuration I am using is:
> OS: Windows XP professional x64 Edition
> Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
>
> And I am using visual studio 2005.
>
> I got steps to build boost_1_33_1 at site
> http://en.allexperts.com/q/C-1040/Building-boost-libraries-64.htm
>
> And tried to use same steps to build boost_1_34_1 for 64 bit platform
> but python library was not built and thread library was also not built
> and there were some other issues also.

I had to build Boost 1.34.1 for Win64, VS 2005 a couple weeks ago. I unpacked the Boost tarball and ran the following bjam command line:

bjam --prefix=C:\Boost64 --build-dir=D:\boost-build\x64
 --toolset=msvc address-model=64 install

I verified that thread libraries were built, but I haven't tested them. Also, I am not using Python, but it should be the same procedure as Python for Win32.

This is basically the same bjam command as for 32-bit compilation. The important differences are:

address-model=64 Requests a 64-bit build

--prefix=C:\Boost64 Do NOT put your 64-bit Boost in the same directory as your 32-bit Boost. You'll overwrite the libraries.

--build-dir=D:\boost-build\x64 The same holds true for the indermediate files. This should point to an empty directory.

HTH

Andrew Holden