Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost Serialization + Forward compatibility [was Re: boost::serialization and PHP websites]
From: Kenny Riddile (kfriddile_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-30 15:52:08

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Sohail Somani wrote:
>> Robert Ramey wrote:

>>> This would be doable if someone wanted to invest the effort. And
>>> this would not be a huge effort at least in comparison to
>>> the efforts required to implement a lot of the other features of the
>>> library.
>> How would this be done (without breaking backward compatibility)? It
>> is kind of late so admittedly it might be totally obvious in the
>> morning.
>>
>> I also notice you have not mentioned anything about the 70 billion
>> dollar bailout for the serialization library and spreading the
>> wealth. I assume the cheque's in the mail.
>
> I purposely overlooked that comment. It seemed to be an
> attempt at some sort of criticism. It's absolutely amazing to
> me how much I've been criticised (many times personally)
> for making this library. I choose to interpret this as acknowledgement
> (and perhaps resentment) of its success. It's my policy
> to ignore such comments which almost always results
> in the least amount of time wasted. Occasionally this
> doesn't work so I have to waste more time. But generally
> this policy works well for me.
>
> Robert Ramey

I know you get a lot of questions about things that are clearly
addressed in the serialization documentation (from myself too a few
times). I've even heard you called "that RTFM guy on the boost lists" a
couple times :) I couldn't handle maintaining such a widely-used
library myself and would like to express my gratitude for tackling such
a complex problem free of charge and creating something that has been
very useful to us.