Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Spirit qi recommendations ?
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-22 10:20:02

>     In order to reduce compile times I have decided to rewrite the
> parser/grammar
>     from classic to spirit qi (spirit 2.1). My understanding is that
> faster
>     compiles come from easier modularisation available under spirit qi.
>     (As shown in mini_c example, in the boost tree)
>
>     However I need this to be portable to as many platforms as
> possible.
>     In my case minimum set is Linux,HP-UX, AIX.

We never tried to compile Spirit on AIX/xlc. So any feedback is welcome.
Using gcc should be fine.

>     So my fall-back is boost 1.38.
>
>     So how much has boost spirit qi changed between 1.38 and present ?

A lot! If you must stick with Boost V1.38/1.39 I would recommend to take out
the Spirit directories from trunk and use those with your Boost versions.
This is proven to work well.

>     How are defects reported against spirit qi, integrated back to past
>     releases, or is there any recommended patch type mechanism, that
>     supports redistribution of my local boost tree. Or is simply better
>    to use spirit independently from boost?

Spirit 2.1 (trunk) is a complete rewrite of what's in the recent Boost
releases. The interface is stable, though.

>     Are there any issues/guidelines that people have found in
>     transitioning from classic to Qi. In my case I made heavy use
>    of closures. I have not seen closures in any of spirit qi examples,
>    Assuming there is equivalent functionality to closures ?

Not yet. Closures are not part of Spirit.Qi because those are not needed
anymore. Use locals instead.

>     I would interested in any recommendations before starting
>     on this project.

Unfortunately we don't have any written documentation of how to best migrate
from Spirit.Classic yet. So any insides from users having this experience
are highly appreciated.

Regards Hartmut