Subject: [Boost-users] [python] ImportError undefined symbol
From: Brian Budge (brian.budge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-29 18:36:16

Hi all -

I'm not much of a python guru, in fact our resident guru is out on
maternity :) I'm hoping someone might tell me what is going on and
how to get around it.

We're using boost python, and have created a plugin = libMyPlugin.
libMyPlugin links to libuuid and to libOtherLib. Our python test
script is pretty simple and looks like this:

import libMyPlugin
from libMyPlugin import DoStuff

but I get an error like this:

ImportError: libOtherLib.so: undefined symbol: uuid_generate

libOtherLib uses the symbol uuid_generate, but ldd reveals that it
does NOT link against libuuid. ldd shows that libMyPlugin links
against libuuid and libOtherLib.

Can anyone explain (a) why this is happening and (b) how to fix it?

Thanks,
  Brian